is a qualified chartered accountant and a financial and management accounting specialist. Having spent 25 years with PwC LLP, the largest global professional financial services firm, he is recognised within the industry as a leading expert in his field. Based in London, he has worked with a wide range of the largest private-sector FTSE 100 companies together with small and medium sized businesses. His expertise of the public sector comes from working with all the major central government departments in senior management positions. He has gained specialist expertise in particular with the NHS, local authorities and education
establishments. These include NHS trust and hospitals, universities, colleges and schools
and the regulatory
environments of all the services provided by local authorities.
During this time, he developed his specialism and expertise not only in financial accounting and management but also in global best practices for white collar crime, fraud investigations, regulatory services
and governance, risks and controls (GRC) in business processes and procedures. He has used this expertise to implement major improvements for the way organisations govern themselves and control how they manage the services they provide to people.
As a result, he has that unique perspective of knowing what it is like to be on both sides of the fence; as an individual consumer and customer of services, plus being armed with the knowledge of the specialist regulatory environments of organisations providing services.
Tom brought that level of expertise and experience in helping to set up and develop Monan Gozzett LLP as the Director of Finance and Operations. In his client-facing work, he services clients’ needs where these involve financial matters, for example, those involving financial agreements, disputes or settlements, and with fraud
or other white-collar crime
He applies his GRC expertise typically where clients wish to challenge or have grievances with another organisation’s or party’s adherence to their own policies and procedures.
Areas of expertise
- Forensic accounting and analysis – typically in complex and contentious divorce or separation matters.
- Fraud and other white -collar crime investigations.
- Preparation and/or review of financial based agreements – for example pre and post nuptials, business contractual risk management, landlord and tenant and other contractual based matters such as contesting school fees or other potential financial liability risks where these are considered contentious.
- Challenging adherence to policies and procedures – especially where an individual may have issues, concerns or grievances against an organisation’s actions towards them. For example, action taken by a school against a pupil or an employer against an employee.
- Working with organisations to improve the rigour and robustness of their governance arrangements, policies, financial processes and controls – often in response to failings or incidents arising within organisations which highlight deficiencies in their current arrangements. For example, working with businesses to reduce their risk of incurring regulatory financial penalties, working with schools to improve their safeguarding, anti-bullying and data protection policies and procedures, and with organisations when faced with employment based disciplinary policies and procedures.