, a Senior Paralegal at Monan Gozzett Solicitors, heads up our legal support team. With 10 years’ experience of working in a dynamic office environment, Mellissa works closely with the partners, associates and our client service team to manage the legal team that supports each case. In doing so, she ensures the right mix of specialist expertise to support the lead solicitor is in place. By prioritising both the continuity and flexibility of resourcing needs, she ensures you have the right level of resource exactly when you need it throughout the journey of your case.
Mellissa is an Affiliate member of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives and has over 5 years’ experience working on a range of complex criminal cases, specialising in false allegations and serious sexual offences. By focusing on making representations of the highest quality at police investigation stage, she is successful at getting cases discontinued at an early stage. She also regularly advises clients on safeguarding matters, where false allegations have been threatened but no formal investigation by the police has commenced.
Mellissa has assisted with police interviews and is experienced in undertaking complex trial preparation for Crown Court cases; working alongside a number of the country’s leading Queen’s Counsel.
Mellissa also advises individuals in relation to complaints against the police through the Professional Standards Department and, where appropriate, civil actions against the police.’
- Defendant charged with three counts of indecency with a child and one count of indecent assault – case successfully discontinued following comprehensive trial preparation and the instruction of experts.
- Operation Amberstone (a high profile police operation) – a retired fireman accused of three allegations of sexual assault - successful in being acquitted at Court.
- Complex and high profile allegation - successful in getting matter discontinued early on during police investigation.
- A senior Staff Cadet (scouts) accused of a range of sexual allegations - successful in the matter being discontinued at an early stage in the police investigation after submission of defence representations.
- A businessman accused of historic rape and sexual assault – acquitted on all counts at trial. Key to the success was the sustained tenacity and never-say-die ethos of the team to obtain written disclosures from the prosecution.
- A businessman accused of date rape – following comprehensive preparation, the instruction of leading Queen’s Counsel, the defendant was acquitted after 5-day trial.
- A defendant accused of two allegations of assault including rape – successful in getting the case discontinued before going to trial.
- A woman accused of theft from an elderly relative as part of a Wills & Probate dispute - following lengthy and comprehensive preparation, the defendant was acquitted at trial.