- Popular culture celebrities accused of child neglect, discontinued at the police station after lengthy defence investigations.
- Company director accused of indecent assault investigation discontinued after written representations.
- Media Personality accused of two counts of child cruelty successfully acquitted at Court following a comprehensive investigation into social media evidence.
- Maria secured a decision of no further action for a teacher facing allegations of sexual offences which would have led to difficulties regarding the continuation of their professional career.
- Professional businessman charged with GBH, following comprehensive preparation, the instruction of leading Queens Counsel and an expert physician the defendant was acquitted by the jury following a submissions of no case to answer.
- Pilot investigated for making false representations to obtain a license, case discontinued after written representations.
- Businessman accused of historic allegations of rape, and attempted rape acquitted after expert evidence obtained by the defence to show partial alibi.
- Female manager accused of sexual assault by former staff members. Due to Maria’s active intervention, the case was finalised with 'no further action' from the police.
- Musician accused of Assault - avoided a custodial sentence.
- Health care professional accused of historic sex allegations against children - Discontinued by the police at investigation stage after extensive defence investigations resulting in written representations for the disclosure of information that could have undermined the Crowns case.
- Medical student accused of rape, investigation discontinued after written representations made.
- Student accused of threats to kill, discontinued after written representations.
- Schoolboy accused of two allegations of rape, investigation discontinued after written representations
- Retired care professional accused of multiple rapes and sexual assault, Defendant acquitted following lengthy case preparation and defence investigations.
- Ex-pat historic false allegation case resulted in no further action after the removal of an interpol all ports arrest warrant, full case review, preparation and guidance through voluntary interview.
- Special constable accused of child neglect offences discontinued after new evidence brought to light in written representations.
- Young teacher accused of assault of a child discontinued at the police station. A complex case - defence preparation prior to interview highlighted significant factual differences and a general lack of support and paucity of training which ultimately led to no further action being taken by the police.
- Young mother accused of GBH (baby shaking) – Discontinued by police at investigation stage, the Defence having highlighted the negligence of hospital physicians. Child returned to mother’s care as a result.
- Minister accused of ABH, allegation involved kicking the alleged aggrieved to the head. The defence maintained client had acted solely in defence of another and that the allegations were factually incorrect - acquitted at trial.
- Defendant accused of conspiracy to commit fraud acquitted at trial defence having located key evidence after undertaking detailed consideration of the substantial bundles of unused material supplied by the Crown (co-defendants convicted after trial, two of whom have been sentenced to custodial sentences of four and five years respectively).
- Operation Odin – Large scale drugs conspiracy involving 14 defendants spanning the Sussex and Hampshire Counties resulting in Proceeds of Crime investigations.
- Operation Staple – Defendants charged with 24 sexual offences against 13 teenage girls in Sussex as part of an investigation into an alleged child sexual exploitation circle.
LLB (Hons) in 1989. Qualified as a solicitor in 1994.
Senior Partner for 16 years in a number of high profile law firms in London and the South East.
Law Society, Former President of Chichester Law Society, CLSA, Specialist Fraud Panel, Association of Higher Court Advocates (SAHCA) and The Fraud Lawyers Association.
Areas of Expertise
- False allegations
- Representations at Police Station investigation stage
- Business crime
- Money laundering
- Tax and VAT fraud
- POCA proceedings
- Complex criminal investigations
- Private crime
- Road traffic offences
The initial shock and distress that this caused me is indescribable. I could not believe that this was happening to me. The matter was further complicated because I do not reside in England or even in Europe.
After a day or so I had recovered sufficiently to search for help. I therefore headed to the search engines to find an expert and found Maria Monan and your firm. I read about Maria’s experience and her qualifications. This impressed me very much.
I instructed Maria and over a short period of time, considering the mammoth task, she had identified the police officer in the case and the exact nature of the false allegations.
Your team under Maria’s guidance successfully persuaded the police to send some disclosure of their case so that my defence could be organised.
It duly was and representations were sent to the officer in the case, this resulted in the removal of an "Interpol all ports arrest warrant" by the police and my voluntary return to England for an interview being agreed with the officer. This avoided me being arrested at the airport and taken in custody to the police station and all of the distress that that would have caused me.
I attended an interview at a police station with Maria and my wife to support me. I was obviously apprehensive but Maria guided me and although the interview was lengthy it seemed to go very quickly when I used Maria’s step by step approach.
After the interview I returned home and within three weeks I was advised by Maria that The police had officially informed her that 'No Further Action' would be taken against me. I am overjoyed and relieved to say the least.
I can only say how grateful I am to Maria and her team.
To anyone reading this who finds themselves in a similar position to me, I would say that Maria is an outstanding solicitor and one who can be trusted to give her all for her clients, she is a dedicated professional who has an extremely high success record. I’m sure that using a general solicitor and not a specialist would have resulted in a totally different situation. I dread to imagine what could have happened.
I’m very happy to have had all this stress removed from me and I can now return to a normal family life again."
"After being falsely accused of historic physical child abuse and neglect, I was totally overwhelmed by the situation and was in total shock. I received poor advice from the duty solicitor and it was clear that this was an area of law outside of his expertise and the expertise of local solicitors.
I didn’t know where to turn to and I immediately started thinking of the worst case scenario - going to prison for something that I hadn’t done! As soon as I arrived home I knew that it was imperative to get expert legal advice and after searching the Internet I found Maria…I was an emotional wreck but I immediately felt supported and I knew that I had made the right choice.
My case was extremely complicated with a lengthy background of harassment and family disputes, but this was not a problem for Maria who has so much experience in dealing with these types of cases that there wasn’t anything that she hadn’t heard before - making it easy for her to pick out the relevant evidence.
Maria …provided me with excellent legal representation and it was thanks to Maria’s superlative written representations to the CPS and the police, that the case was dropped prior to charge. Maria ensured that the CPS and the police treated me fairly and took notice of my case, presenting a great deal of evidence that the police didn’t have…
The investigating officer stated that Maria’s representations led to a number of further enquiries that unearthed evidence that the police didn’t have. I strongly believe that if I had put my trust in the legal system and sat back until the investigation was complete, I would currently be waiting for a court date, facing financial ruin with my name in the papers and my reputation in tatters.
I can’t thank Maria enough for what she has done for me and if you are reading this and are in a similar situation to me, stay strong and contact Maria as soon as you can. This has been the worst situation that I have ever been through but my life is now back to normal and I will be eternally grateful to Maria for her help."
Every meeting or phone call, was always full of professionalism and understanding for the issues I was facing.
My choice of Magistrate or Crown Court were meticulously explained and the implications given for each. Mellissa was also the perfect reassuring anchor, always keeping me informed, enabling me to keep myself grounded. Even when the first trial date was postponed, Neal’s attitude was always positive and continued to raise my spirits.
In court, counsel held the jury’s attention and everyone else in court, with strategic arguments being so well presented. With touches of irony, crucial points made perfectly, especially when questioning the witnesses and in counsel’s closing speech made a simple understandable narrative for the jury.
You phoned me immediately once the unanimous ‘not guilty’ verdict had been returned to share my relief and always went above and beyond with your concern for my welfare, especially when dealing with family allegations.
Once again my sincere thanks to you all and all the very best for a continuing successful practice."
I was fortunate to find Monan Gozzett in my search for a specialist in this field and from my first contact with them I felt tremendously reassured by their calm professionalism. It was a source of great relief to know that they had the expertise and experience to deal with just this sort of situation.
Maria understood the situation and made strong representations to the Police to enable my voice to be heard. Her strategy prevented any Court action and ultimately led to a swift and efficient conclusion to the matter. I could not have been in safer hands and I would not hesitate to recommend Monan Gozzett to anyone in a similar situation."
Maria’s acumen and sensitivity supported by the team, helped us through a time of dreadful and unbelievable accusations. This has recently come to its finale with us achieving an apology and substantial compensation. We are grateful, not only for the success of the case, but for the way in which Maria & The Monan Gozzett team handled everything."
I would have to say that attending an interview was certainly one of the worst experiences of my life, but both at the pre-interview meeting and prior to the interview at the station, Maria’s insight and help in presenting the facts meant that I was as prepared as I could have possibly been.
Having been told that the police were no longer going to pursue the case was a great relief, but it has taken months for life to get back to nearly normal and as I have previously mentioned even then it has taken a fresh start to get back a sense of normality.
I am glad to have been able to put this behind us all as a family. I would say to anyone who finds themselves being accused of such a serious allegation, that having a professional who specialises in your corner is essential. I feel that having Maria’s expertise on my side and how she dealt with this matter played a pivotal role in having the matter NFA’d at the initial stage.
Thank you again for your professionalism, help and support."
The whole thing was unnecessary but luckily I came across MG Solicitors and couldn’t recommend enough, if I ever have any need for legal matters in the future then these are the only people I want to deal with.
Thank you again!
Maria has given me a first class personable service and she is reassuring at all times and I entrust in her 100%. I feel like I am their only client and she is always on the end of the phone. Maria gives me every confidence in this very anxious time and I have no doubt she will gain the best possible outcome for my case at every opportunity.