- Health care professional accused of historic sex allegations against children - Discontinued by the police at investigation stage after extensive defence investigations resulting in written representations for the disclosure of information that could have undermined the Crowns case.
- Medical student accused of rape, investigation discontinued after written representations made.
- Student accused of threats to kill, discontinued after written representations.
- Company director accused of indecent assault investigation discontinued after written representations.
- Schoolboy accused of two allegations of rape, investigation discontinued after written representations
- Retired care professional accused of multiple rapes and sexual assault, Defendant acquitted following lengthy case preparation and defence investigations.
- Special constable accused of child neglect offences discontinued after new evidence brought to light in written representations.
- Pilot investigated for making false representations to obtain a licence, case discontinued after written representations.
- Businessman accused of historic allegations of rape, and attempted rape acquitted after expert evidence obtained by the defence to show partial alibi.
- Young teacher accused of assault of a child discontinued at the police station. A complex case - defence preparation prior to interview highlighted significant factual differences and a general lack of support and paucity of training which ultimately led to no further action being taken by the police.
- Young mother accused of GBH (baby shaking) – Discontinued by police at investigation stage, the Defence having highlighted the negligence of hospital physicians. Child returned to mother’s care as a result.
- Media Personality accused of two counts of child cruelty successfully acquitted at Court following comprehensive investigation into social media evidence.
- Popular culture celebrities accused of child neglect, discontinued at the police station after lengthy defence investigations
- Musician accused of Assault - avoided custodial sentence
- Minister accused of ABH, allegation involved kicking the alleged aggrieved to the head. The defence maintained client had acted solely in defence of another and that the allegations were factually incorrect - acquitted at trial.
- Professional business man charged with GBH, following comprehensive preparation, the instruction of leading Queens Counsel and an expert physician the defendant was acquitted by the jury following a submissions of no case to answer.
- Defendant accused of conspiracy to commit fraud acquitted at trial defence having located key evidence after undertaking detailed consideration of the substantial bundles of unused material supplied by the Crown (co-defendants convicted after trial, two of whom have been sentenced to custodial sentences of four and five years respectively).
- Operation Odin – Large scale drugs conspiracy involving 14 defendants spanning the Sussex and Hampshire Counties resulting in Proceeds of Crime investigations.
- Operation Staple – Defendants charged with 24 sexual offences against 13 teenage girls in Sussex as part of an investigation into an alleged child sexual exploitation circle.
LLB (Hons) in 1989. Qualified as a solicitor in 1994.
Senior Partner for 16 years in a number of high profile law firms in London and the South East.
Law Society, Former President of Chichester Law Society, CLSA, Specialist Fraud Panel, Association of Higher Court Advocates (SAHCA) and The Fraud Lawyers Association.
Areas of Expertise
- False allegations
- Representations at Police Station investigation stage
- Business crime
- Money laundering
- Tax and VAT fraud
- POCA proceedings
- Complex criminal investigations
- Private crime
- Road traffic offences
"After being falsely accused of historic physical child abuse and neglect, I was totally overwhelmed by the situation and was in total shock. I received poor advice from the duty solicitor and it was clear that this was an area of law outside of his expertise and the expertise of local solicitors.
I didn’t know where to turn to and I immediately started thinking of the worst case scenario - going to prison for something that I hadn’t done! As soon as I arrived home I knew that it was imperative to get expert legal advice and after searching the Internet I found Maria…I was an emotional wreck but I immediately felt supported and I knew that I had made the right choice.
My case was extremely complicated with a lengthy background of harassment and family disputes, but this was not a problem for Maria who has so much experience in dealing with these types of cases that there wasn’t anything that she hadn’t heard before - making it easy for her to pick out the relevant evidence.
Maria …provided me with excellent legal representation and it was thanks to Maria’s superlative written representations to the CPS and the police, that the case was dropped prior to charge. Maria ensured that the CPS and the police treated me fairly and took notice of my case, presenting a great deal of evidence that the police didn’t have…
The investigating officer stated that Maria’s representations led to a number of further enquiries that unearthed evidence that the police didn’t have. I strongly believe that if I had put my trust in the legal system and sat back until the investigation was complete, I would currently be waiting for a court date, facing financial ruin with my name in the papers and my reputation in tatters.
I can’t thank Maria enough for what she has done for me and if you are reading this and are in a similar situation to me, stay strong and contact Maria as soon as you can. This has been the worst situation that I have ever been through but my life is now back to normal and I will be eternally grateful to Maria for her help."
Every meeting or phone call, was always full of professionalism and understanding for the issues I was facing.
My choice of Magistrate or Crown Court were meticulously explained and the implications given for each. Mellissa was also the perfect reassuring anchor, always keeping me informed, enabling me to keep myself grounded. Even when the first trial date was postponed, Neal’s attitude was always positive and continued to raise my spirits.
In court, counsel held the jury’s attention and everyone else in court, with strategic arguments being so well presented. With touches of irony, crucial points made perfectly, especially when questioning the witnesses and in counsel’s closing speech made a simple understandable narrative for the jury.
You phoned me immediately once the unanimous ‘not guilty’ verdict had been returned to share my relief and always went above and beyond with your concern for my welfare, especially when dealing with family allegations.
Once again my sincere thanks to you all and all the very best for a continuing successful practice."
I was fortunate to find Monan Gozzett in my search for a specialist in this field and from my first contact with them I felt tremendously reassured by their calm professionalism. It was a source of great relief to know that they had the expertise and experience to deal with just this sort of situation.
Maria understood the situation and made strong representations to the Police to enable my voice to be heard. Her strategy prevented any Court action and ultimately led to a swift and efficient conclusion to the matter. I could not have been in safer hands and I would not hesitate to recommend Monan Gozzett to anyone in a similar situation."
Maria’s acumen and sensitivity supported by the team, helped us through a time of dreadful and unbelievable accusations. This has recently come to its finale with us achieving an apology and substantial compensation. We are grateful, not only for the success of the case, but for the way in which Maria & The Monan Gozzett team handled everything."